Auntie Viv (おハムばあさん) is an unusually fit elderly hamster with an attitude. Despite her age, she is incredibly athletic and energetic, moreso than even the toughest of the other Ham-Hams.
Auntie Viv is an elderly, yet surprisingly robust, hamster. Even though she's very old, she is incredibly skilled at athletics; she loves doing activities like snowboarding, skateboarding, and running marathons. She can sometimes act wild and be rude, especially towards Elder Ham; but in most cases she is kind, and will sometimes give the Ham-Hams free advice.
Auntie Viv has a complicated, off-and-on relationship with her long-time friend Elder Ham. During their youth, they were a couple, and traveled the world together. However, according to Elder Ham, she apparently turned down his marriage proposal for reasons unknown. She still harbors romantic feelings for him, and he seems to as well.
This does not stop them from getting into the occasional heated argument. Otherwise, the two seem to be on very good terms with one another, and enjoy each others' company.
Auntie Viv first met Boss in The Amazing Auntie Viv, where they both race each other in the spring marathon. Their competitive natures clash and they instantly become formidable rivals. During the race, the two run alongside one another for most of the way; but after Auntie Viv trips and becomes too tired to continue, Boss comes back to help her to the finish line. The two become fairly close after that, with Boss viewing her like a grandmother. Whenever Auntie Viv needs help, Boss is more often than not the first one to offer assistance.
In the episode Mother Viv, it is hinted that Auntie Viv may be Boss's mother; in the end it is not strictly answered, leaving it open-ended.
Alongside Elder Ham, Auntie Viv has three other lifelong friends. These include Haibi's grandmother, a white-furred hamster, and a brown-furred hamster. In their youth, they went on great adventures with each other; much like Hamtaro and friends' ventures in the present day. The group meets up with each other in Ham-Hams Ahoy!, in which they attempt to retrieve the treasure chest.
- The Amazing Auntie Viv (#28)
- Valentine's Day! (#32)
- Even the Ham-Hams Get Seasick! (#50)
- Auntie Viv and Elder Ham (#92)
- Mother Viv (#148)
- Ham-Ham Halloween! (#173)
- The Changing Mirror (#216)
- Start, Ham-Hams! (#259)
- The Sports Competition! (#272)
- Happy Dream, Ham-Ham Train! (#284)
- Ham-Hams Ahoy! (OVA)
- She was once the pet of "a Captain".
- In Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!, there is a hamster that is nearly identical to Auntie Viv in appearance, who lives in Acorn Shrine. She is internally named "Grandma Ham" in English, and "Babahamu" in Japanese. She is very talkative, and has a son named Snack Ham.
- She seems to be the only character outside the videogames to use "Bye-Q" when saying goodbye.
- Her Japanese name, "Ohamubā", is "grandma" or "granny" (obā) with "ham" placed in the middle.
- It is worth mentioning that the English-written Japanese word for "aunt" is very similar ("oba" with no accent mark). This may indicate that her being an aunt in the English dub was due to a mistranslation.
- Main article: Auntie Viv/Gallery