Cappy (かぶるくん) is a young, white and brown hamster. He wears a green swimming cap. Cappy has a passion for hats, and loves to put different things on his head (most notably a giant pan).
Shy and hesitant, Cappy is always looking for something new to put on his head. He's willing to try all sorts of things, but standard saucepans are his cap-of-choice. He is owned by Kip and Sue. The two hats Cappy most commonly wears are his green swimming cap and the giant red saucepan that he usually hides under. While he loves his home, he does not like being spoiled. He also looks up to Boss due to his independence as a field hamster.
In Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak, Cappy becomes good friends with Seedric, because they both love hats. In the main anime series and some later video games, Cappy is shown to be best friends with Stucky.
Cappy and Stucky are close friends. They have a sort of playful rivalry with each other, especially when it comes to hide-and-seek. The two relate to each other in many ways, and are among the most energetic and youthful of the Ham-Hams.
In Ham-Ham Heartbreak, Spat steals the acorn hat from Seedric and gives it to Cappy. When Hamtaro convinces Cappy to return it, he decides not to at first; but later realizing how much he would miss his hat if he lost it, he returns it to Seedric himself. Through this they become good friends, both sharing a likeness for hats.
- Cappy shares a birthday with Hamtaro (August 6th), as stated in the Happy Birthday Hamtaro Special!.
- His Japanese name, "Kaburu", means to put something on one's head, referring to his hat obsession.
- Cappy is never seen without his green swimming cap in the anime; apart from in Get Well, Laura, where he takes it off to help fan Laura, and First Time at the Beach, where he takes it off so he can wear a seashell.
- Official information claims Cappy's height is 7.7 cm (a height taller than Bijou, Pashmina, etc.). However, in some media, Cappy is shown to be significantly shorter in height - being shorter than every other Ham-Ham, save for Penelope.
- Main article: Cappy/Gallery